Mobile robot arm prototype for 3D printing (MIRA3D)
MIRA3D is a big outdoor prototype to research mobile additive layer manufacturing of lunar regolith. It consists of the rover “Innok Heros” with all-wheel drive and the collaborative robotic arm “UR10”. It is designed to mobilize printing heads. Currently, it is equipped with a Powder Feed – Fused Deposition Modeling (PF-FDM) printing head model. The model simulates geometry, appearance and inertia of the PF-FDM printing head developed in the project 3D4Space. It is used for algorithm development and tests. In a later stage of the project, a functional printing head will be used. Besides, MIRA3D can be used to mobilize other printing heads or payloads in an outdoor environment.
The prototype MIRA3D
MIRA3D can be controlled with a remote control and by a tele-operator. Direct and supervised teleoperation is enabled by the use of four monochrome puA1280-54um cameras from Basler AG, a ZED stereo camera and an UM7 Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS).
A simulation model of MIRA3D is available in GAZEBO. The simulation model was developed in the scope of a Bachelor´s thesis in cooperation with the Institute for Robotics and Process Control from TU Braunschweig. In the simulation model, MIRA3D can be tested in Earth and Moon environments.
MIRA3D simulated in GAZEBO in a Moon environment
MIRA3D is developed in the scope of the project 3D4Space. In this project, additive manufacturing technologies in space are researched. The project is funded by European Union and Land Niedersachsen. We are very grateful for this support!
More detailed information about MIRA3D is available in the following publications:
- Voß, R. Freund, S.Harms, S. Linke, E. Stoll,"MIRA3D – a terrestrial robotic prototype for additive layer manufacturing of lunar regolith", in International Astronautical Congress, Bremen, Germany, Oct. 2018, IAC-18,A3,2B,11,x43642 (accepted for publication).
- Voß, L. Kuhr, R. Freund, S. Linke, E. Stoll, "Requirements for a mobile lunar prototype for additive layer manufacturing", in i-Sairas 2018, Madrid, Spain, Jun. 2018 (accepted for publication).
- Harms, Selection and commissioning of a sensor system for teleoperation of the lunar rover prototype MIRA3D, T1814S, study thesis, Institute of Space Systems, TU Braunschweig, 2018.
- von Unwerth, Simulation des robotischen Mondroverdemonstrators MIRA3D, T1813B, Bachelor´s thesis, Institute for Robotics and Process Control and Institute of Space Systems, TU Braunschweig, 2018.
- F. Fox, Konstruktion einer 3D-Druckkopfattrappe für Tests mit dem Roboterarm UR10, T1809B, Bachelor´s thesis, Institute of Space Systems, TU Braunschweig, 2018.
- L. Hansen, Aufbau einer sicheren mondähnlichen Testumgegung für einen terrestrischen Mondrover-Demonstrator, T1808B, Bachelor´s thesis, Institute of Space Systems, TU Braunschweig, 2018.
- Ke, Development of algorithms for the robotic arm of the rover-arm-prototype MIRA3D, T1807B, Institute of Space Systems, TU Braunschweig, 2018.
- Kuhr, Evaluation of terrestrial lunar rover prototype designs and cost analysis of in-situ ressource utilization, T1728B, Bachelor’s Thesis, Institute of Space Systems, TU Braunschweig, 2018.